Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fear Sells and We're Buying

This post from Xeni Jardin over at Boing Boing captures the current fear based media culture in a nutshell. Why is a major American charitable organization (the American Red Cross) with a charter to provide aid and comfort running advertisements that do exactly the opposite? I wholeheartedly support preparedness but I suspect hope we are quickly approaching a tipping point where such scare tactics will not only draw the wrath of Boing Boing readers but of NASCAR fans. Not that the two (Boing Boing readers/NASCAR fans) are necessarily mutually exclusive, just somewhat uncommon.

P.S. I currently gather most of my news via the RSS powered Google Reader. This tool helps me to sample the main stream media gestalt from a safe distance and then quickly route around it to learn more about the things that I believe matter most.