Sunday, March 1, 2009

Top 25 Active Film Directors List

EW.com (like AFI before them) loves their lists.
Check out their list of the 25 Greatest Active Film Directors.
25 Greatest Active Film Directors

I can't fault their top 10. Actually I can only find two in the whole list of 25 that really bug me.
Call me crazy but Tim Burton at #13 and Sam Raimi at #15 both seem too high.  Tim Burton is an exceptional Art Director/DP but his inability to consistently build stories as stunning as his visuals should push him lower down the list.  Raimi is solid but I'd bump him entirely for Kevin Smith.  I am reserving judgment on Zack Snyder until I see Watchmen. 
Firstshowing.net has a nice discussion about the list in the comments and manages to put the list all on one page.
(Caution: The EW write up is one of those annoying page view generating 25 pages for 25 directors things that makes EW look like they don't understand the internet.)